Kenya’s opponents in the upcoming 2017 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) Group E qualifier Guinea Bissau have fired Portuguese coach Paulo Torres and instead opted for a local coach in Baciro Cande.
Torres’ future looked bleak after the country suffered a 1 – 3 loss at home to Liberia hence bowing out of the 2018 World Cup qualifier in October 2015. The President of the Football Federation of Guinea Bissau (FFGB) Manuel Lopes Nascimento is said to have dismissed the coach immediately after the match.
His sacking was confirmed earlier in March 2016 by the federation’s Vice President Johnny Mendes who said they opted for the former Bissau Lions coach on an interim basis after informing the government of their decision regarding Torres’ future.
“It was reached by the Executive Committee that we appoint Baciro Cande as the National team coach to be in charge in the next assignments in March. If he posts good results, he will be offered a three year contract,
“Paulo Torres’ contract with the federation was to expire in December 2016 but we informed the government to solve the contractual problem,” Mendes was quoted as saying by Guinean site Odemocrata.
The 44-year-old Torres has been in-charge of the Guinea Bissau national team since November 2013. Baciro Cande, has gone ahead to appoint members of his technical bench.
"It's true, I received an invitation from the Football Federation of Guinea-Bissau to take charge of the national team ahead of the games in March, everything is in order,” Cande was quoted as saying.
Former Gabu Desportivo coach Silverio Varela will serve as his assistant while Pope Tchias will be the team trainer.
Bissau hosts Kenya on Wednesday 23 March in the first leg AFCON qualifier match at the 20 000-seater Estadio Nacional 24 de Setembro with the return leg set for Saturday 26 March in Nairobi.