Gor Mahia fined for crowd trouble
By Terry Ouko | Thu 28 Sep, 2017 13:14

Kenyan Premier League (KPL) giants Gor Mahia have been fined Ksh. 200,000 for failing to control their fans during a league match against Ulinzi Stars played on Sunday 2 July at Moi Stadium in Kisumu. 

The match had to be halted after Gor fans caused chaos protesting what they termed as disrespectful celebration from Ulinzi Stars forward Stephen Waruru after scoring the equalizer in the closing stages of the match. 

The matter was duly reported to the KPL and forwarded to the Independent Disciplinary & Complaints Committee (IDCC).

At fault

In an IDCC ruling made on Thursday 28 September, the club was deemed at fault in failing to manage its fans thus causing stoppage of the game as the teams battled to a 2 - 2 draw.

By failing to control its fans, Gor Mahia was also culpable for not ensuring the safety and security of officials and the visiting club.

The amount fined should be paid within 30 days of the ruling. The fine was delivered with a warning, that a repeat offense will come with severe punishment, including docking of points.

"According to the provisions of Rule 3.4(a) of the Rules of Kenyan football under which the charges herein were brought, Gor Mahia FC had the responsibility of controlling their supporters and members and ensures that they behave in a fair manner. The Rule provides as follows; “Members and supporters: Clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members and supporters and must ensure they behave in a fair manner and refrain from violent, threatening, abusive, obscene and other provocative and unsporting conduct or language at a match” Further, Rule 3.5(b) on security and safety during matches provides as follows; 

“…..the home club is responsible for the welfare, safety and security of all officials and visiting clubs……” Considering the cited provisions of the Rules governing Kenyan football, the Tribunal finds that Gor Mahia Football Club breached the provisions of Rule 3.4(a), and 3.5(b) of the Rules of Kenyan Football hence should be punished accordingly as provided under Article 67 paragraphs 1, 3 and 4 of the FIFA Disciplinary Code. 

1. That Gor Mahia Football Club having been found guilty for breaching Rules 3.4 (a) and 3.5 (B) of the Rules of Kenyan Football on Sunday, 2nd 2017 during the SportPesa Premier League Match Number 128 between Gor Mahia FC and Ulinzi Stars FC which was played at Moi Stadium Kisumu, is hereby fined Kenya Shillings Two Hundred Thousand (Kshs. 200,000/-) 2. That above amount should be paid to Kenyan Premier League within Thirty (30) days from the date of this ruling, otherwise to be recovered by KPL. 3. That the Club is hereby warned that severe punishment will be meted out on it if its fans, Members and/or supporters will be found guilty of similar charge in future matches and to be precise, the Tribunal will henceforth consider docking 3 League points from any team whose fans will be found guilty of engaging in acts of hooliganism," read part of the ruling.

Terry Ouko
Terry Ouko
Related Articles
Posta Rangers Head coach Sammy Pamzo Omollo has been charged by the Independent Disputes and Complai...
Ulinzi Stars striker Stephen Waruru has been acquitted of any wrong doing following claims by Gor Ma...

Leave a comment