Black Stars’ Wilson Mwenda and Vihiga’s Patrick Okullo fight for ball possession in the match.
NSL: Okullo on the double as Vihiga punishes Black Stars
By Vincent Stephen | Wed 19 Apr, 2017 13:03

Patrick Okullo netted a brace as visiting Vihiga United punished Kibera Black Stars with a 3-0 score in a National Super League (NSL) match played at Camp Toyoyo grounds on Wednesday 19 April from 11.15am EAT.

Okullo shot Vihiga into the lead on the 41st minute finishing off a rebound from Black Stars goalkeeper Paul Ochieng’ off a Martin Imbalambala free kick from outside the area. Vihiga earned the free kick following a foul on Kevin Muhanji who was rushed to the hospital after falling awkwardly. He completed his brace on the 63rd minute before Ugandan Rashid Kyambade scored the third, two minutes after replacing Dennis Ombeva. 

Also Read: Stars debutant eyeing regular slot

Imbalambala attempt 

Both sides were cautious in the opening exchanges, Black Stars defending tightly through Donald Opiyo and Nichodemus Onyango. Ronald Reagan was once again charged with the responsibility of hunting for goals upfront with Wilson Mwenda and Kevin Ndua running on the flanks interchangeably.

Imbalambala had his 20th minute shot veer off the target and on the 29th minute, Reagan squandered a clear chance in front of goal with his header going wayward off a Mwenda cross. Amos Kigadi thought he had opened the scoring for Vihiga on the 33rd minute but his shot ricocheted off the crossbar before being cleared by the All Stars defence to safety.

Black Stars goalie Ochieng’ looked shaky on various occasions in the first half but thanks to Opiyo and Nichodemus who kept him at bay defending well to head for the breather trailing by just a goal.

Also Read: Gor Mahia coach named the best in March


Vihiga capitalized on two comic mistakes from Black Stars keeper to net two quick goals. The introduction of Essan Odongo couldn't help the Kibera based side despite the midfielder pushing his teammates harder. He nearly got a consolation on the 76th minute but his shot went inches off the mark. 

Vihiga held on to easily win the game that was delayed for 15 minutes due to the home team's failure to agree on matchday uniform colours forcing Vihiga to put on green shorts and stockings from their initial red that was clashing with that of the opponent.

With the result, Vihiga shoots from third to the top of the standings with 17 points pending results of other games to be played later in the day. 

Also Read: The Lens: Harambee Stars versus Malawi

Vincent Stephen

Twitter: @vincentsopiyo


Related Articles
Eight games are in the offing on Wednesday 19 April as the National Super League enters round eight....
After going back to winning ways beating Kakamega Homeboyz 1-2 at the Mumias Complex Stadium on Sund...

Leave a comment