Part of the action between Police FC and FC Talanta today at Camp Toyoyo.
NSL Wrap: GFE shock Vihiga as Talanta, City Stars shine
By Jeff Kinyanjui | Sun 02 Apr, 2017 20:06

A total of three matches were played as the National Super League (NSL) Round 6 matches continued across different venues in the country.

Vihiga 1-2 GFE 

In what was the fixture of the weekend, Eldoret-based GFE continued with the fine form by downing Vihiga United 2-1 in an entertaining match played at the Mumias Sports Complex. 

Patrick Okullo opened the scoring for Vihiga from the spot but Joseph Omondi leveled the scores in the 19th minute before Ayub Asila scored what was to be the winner in the 34th minute. Vihiga's Martin Imbalambala was booked for a reckless tackle and Amos Kigadi also entered into the referee's book for feigning in the penalty box.

GFE, promoted to the NSL from Division One just this season, have been on a fine run, winning all their four games so far and are on top of the log with 12 points. 

Talanta 2-1 Kenya Police 

FC Talanta continued with the upward trajectory by registering their third win on the trot, edging out Police FC 2-1 in another fast-paced match played at the Camp Toyoyo. 

Talanta were evidently the better side in the first half and went to the breather on the lead, 2-0 goals courtesy of Brian Okeyo in the 32nd minute and the impressive Kevin Ndungu just before the break.

Police came back a much better side after the breather and surged forward in such of goals. Coach Charles Korea Omondi threw in Clifford Kinanga in the 70th minute and this gamble worked as they now used direct football that really troubled the Talanta defense. They won a penalty in the 88th minute and former Mathare United forward Eric Mmata stepped up to send Peter Mageto the wrong way for Police's consolation goal.

Nairobi City Stars 3-2 Kibera BlackStars 

Kibera BlackStars rude welcome to the NSL continue with a 2-3 loss at the hands of Nairobi City Stars in a match played at the Camp Toyoyo. 

The former Kenyan Premier League (KPL) side started strongly and could have scored at the quarter hour mark but Peter Wainaina's low shot hit the bar with the goalkeeper beaten. Ezekiel Odera opened the scoring with a fine header five minutes later but BlackStars responded swiftly after the restart, Ronald Reagan heading in past Claude Koffi to restore parity. 

Mwinyi Hamisi capitalized on a defensive lapse to put City Stars ahead again at the half hour mark but Kibera Black Stars continued to work hard and were rewarded with an equaliser in the 40th minute, Tonni Barasa slotting in from the spot after Kevin Mulama was fouled in the box.

In an evenly balanced second half, Peter Wainaina scored what was to be the winner in the 75th minute and City Stars managed to contain a late surge by BlackStars to pick the crucial three points. 

Monday fixtures

Four more matches will be played on Monday with the Thika Sub County Stadium hosting a triple header.

Click here to check the updated NSL log and full fixtures. 

Jeff Kinyanjui

Twitter: @Nyash88

Related Articles
In 2008, the late James Siang’a, a renowned Kenyan coach saw a gem in a few unknown players and pl...
The incredible true story of how the former Gor Mahia defender is using football to influence change...

He was one of the shining stars in Gor Mahia last season despite the team struggling to replicate th...
“Dad I don’t want anything to do with football because it wasted you. You could have been very s...

Leave a comment